It’s June – which for many means pool time, beach trips, and Summer Fridays. In other words, time to pursue those personal interests that too often get pushed aside during our busy seasons. With that in mind, the final installment in the “Best of” series is reading and listening for fun! We hope you enjoy your summer a little more thanks to these suggestions.
Great sources of fun
Books: Reading for fun
Go ahead. Jump into a rabbit hole. This list could be incredibly long or it could be incredibly short. This isn’t meant to be your 2019 bookclub list. With that in mind, we opted for short… unless, of course, you decide to read the full canon of these fiction authors our founder Rachelle has decided are the best of our time.
- Dave Eggers The author of A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius and numerous other titles, Eggers contributions as a writer and advocate for education make him a mainstay on our reading lists.
- Salman Rushdie The author of acclaimed novel Midnight’s Children, Rushdie mingles magical realism with historical fiction to create works that are beautifully thought-provoking.
Podcasts: Listening for fun
Headed out for a run or a bike ride? Going on a road trip? Whether it’s by foot or wheel, put one of these in your ear and the trip will be more enjoyable.
- Every Little Thing Do you really need to bring your seat to an upright position during take-off? Are pirate peg legs real? The Every Little Thing podcast investigates these questions and more to bring you short, random looks into what we don’t know about everything!
- GO Help YourselfWith refreshing candor and humor, these female comedians read, unpack, and live out self-help books, so you don’t have to.
- Most Pleasant ExhaustionWe’re not just a group of writers and content enthusiasts, we’re a group of writers and content enthusiasts with a passion for exercise, health, and nutrition. So, when our fearless leader Rachelle introduced us to this podcast from her running coach George, we couldn’t wait to listen and learn about the latest racing research, training tips, and insights on athletics, community, health, and nutrition.
- Pop Culture Happy HourCrunched for time but still want to engage in conversations about the latest TV shows, music and more? Pop Culture Happy Hour to the rescue! Now, you can (knowingly) laugh at that funny meme, too.
- RadiolabNo podcast roundup is complete without a nod to Radiolab. Devoted to “investigating a strange world,” hosts Jad Abumrad and Robert Krulwich, blend science and storytelling to explore everything from linguistics to professional wrestling and beyond.
Watchword produces intelligence-driven branding and content that works efficiently across many channels to help businesses articulate who they are and what they do to the people who matter most. We listen carefully, communicate thoughtfully, respond consistently, and deliver absolutely – that is our rally cry – our watchword. What’s yours? We’d love to hear your story.